Prior Service Enlistment Bonus
Applicants with prior military service may be eligible for the Prior Service Enlistment Bonus (PSEB). To qualify, you'll need to enlist into a critical skill Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). Contact your local Army National Guard recruiter to find out which positions are currently available in your state.
Prior Service (PS) applicants must meet the following general eligibility criteria to qualify for a PSEB:
- You must enlist in a designated critical skill MOS in the grade of E-7 or below, with a valid vacancy. Most units are eligible, but not all. Check with a recruiter in your area for more details.
- All Prior Service (PS) United States Air Force (USAF), United States Navy (USN), OR United States Coast Guard (USCG) Duty MOS Qualified Applicants must attend Army Basic Combat Training (BCT) within 365 days of enlistment, unless they have previously completed Army or Marine Corps Basic Training. Exceptions authorized to prior service USAF Security Force and USN Special Operations personnel.
- You must have less than 16 years Time in Service (TIS) upon enlistment in the ARNG. The "total military service criteria" includes inactive reserve time in the Inactive Ready Reserve or Inactive National Guard.
- You must enlist for a minimum six-year term of service.
- You must meet requirements of current National Guard enlistment criteria.
- You must have a minimum AFQT score of 31. Your AFQT is a subset score of your ASVAB. Ask your recruiter for more info.
- You must have received an Honorable discharge or an honorable release at the conclusion of all prior periods of military service. A general under Honorable discharge for any period of service is ineligible for this incentive. Exception authorized to Soldiers completing Initial Active Duty Training with an Uncharacterized discharge.
- If your last discharge was from the U.S. National Guard or Army Reserves, you are fully eligible for re-enlistment/extension. If you are within 365 days of your discharge, you are not eligible.
- If you have previously received any Selected Reserve Non-Prior Service enlistment incentive, re-enlistment/extension incentive or affiliation incentive, you may still receive the Prior Service Enlistment Bonus.
- If you have previously received a Prior Service incentive, you are not eligible for another PS enlistment incentive.
The PSEB is a part of the Army National Guard Selected Reserve Incentive Program. Qualifying Prior Service Soldiers can receive a bonus amount of up to $15,000 for enlisting into a designated critical skills position. Most units are eligible, but ask your recruiter for more details.
PSEB Tier Levels
- Tier Level 1 ($15,000)
- Tier Level 2 ($12,500)
- Tier Level 3 ($10,000)
- Tier Level 4 ($7,500)
- Tier Level 5 ($5,000)
Your tier level will be determined by the unit, based on its need to fill the vacancy.
The PSEB incentive is paid in three installments as defined below:
Installment 1: A 50 percent payment will be processed upon reporting to the unit of assignment and verification of qualification. Installment 2: A 25 percent payment will be processed on the 3-year anniversary of the enlistment date after verification of qualification. Installment 3: A 25 percent payment will be processed on the 5-year anniversary of the enlistment date after verification of qualification.
Available critical skill positions vary from state to state. State Incentive Managers can tell you which MOSs qualify in their state.