Academic Testing

Whether you’re beginning, completing or returning to an educational program, you’ll encounter several types of academic testing. Tests can help you earn a diploma, complete an educational credential, gain college entrance, earn credit in a specific area of study without taking the course, and finish certification requirements.

The National Guard can help by paying for many of the tests you’ll need to further your education. The Guard will fund the following types of tests:

Undergraduate Entrance
A college entrance exam such as the SAT or ACT is a required part of most college applications. If you’re planning to pursue college, you’ll probably need to take the SAT or ACT.

These exams allow Soldiers to use the knowledge gained through their education, military or professional experiences to gain credit toward their degree by taking subject-based tests. You can earn between three and 12 credits in specific areas of study by taking the CLEP or DSST examinations.

Graduate Entrance
If you plan to attend graduate school, you will most likely be required to take a GRE or GMAT exam. Your score will help admissions officers determine if you’re the right fit for the program.

Teacher Certification
As part of your teacher certification program, most states will require you to take the Praxis Series of tests. You’ll earn your teaching license with a qualifying score.

Learn more about these programs by clicking on any of the links above.

If any of these programs are right for you, then you can locate a test center here.


Current Guard Soldiers can get more information on education programs by contacting their state’s Education Services Officer.